I have been writing about horses professionally since 1993, but I have loved both horses, riding, and writing since first grade. I love writing and editing so much I went back to graduate school (for the second) time to get a master’s certificate in professional writing. I already had a B.A. in English and an M.A. in Teaching, but I wanted to improve my writing and editing skills for writing in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) fields in this digital era.
Riding and Writing
When you hire me to write a technical or mass market article about horses, you get someone with a lifetime of experience riding and showing. I understand what makes the horse world go round, whether at a small home-based barn, an elite trainer’s facility, or a large horse show like Devon, Rolex Kentucky, or AQHA Congress.
I have a wealth of subject-matter experts in the equestrian world who add credibility to the article, including:
Some of the people I have worked with or interviewed in the past include:
- George Morris, Olympic medalist
- Denny Emerson, Olympic medalist
- Peter Wylde, Olympic and World Championships medalist
- Jessica Ransehousen, Olympian, dressage judge and trainer
- Joyce Harman, DVM
- Kip Rosenthal, top hunter-jumper trainer
- Pam Baker, top hunter-jumper trainer
- Ray Texel, Grand Prix jumper rider and judge
- Adam Whitehead, farrier
- Amy Dragoo, photographer
- Ruthann Smith, braider, groom, entrepreneur
You can expect I treat our subject matter experts with professionalism and respect. They will feel reassured talking to a lifelong horsewoman because I speak their language, too.
Fields of Expertise
While this blog focus gastro-intestinal subject matter, I am comfortable writing about most equine topics and disciplines:
- veterinary issues
- alternative healthcare (acupuncture, chiropractics)
- barn management
- first aid
Tack & Equipment
- saddles and fit
- care of leather
- bits and bitting
- show jumping
- carriage driving
- Natural Horsemanship
Terms & Policies
Cost is private treaty, but depends on:
- number of words,
- outside research,
- supplementary services provided (photography, desktop publishing, preparation for digital publishing).
Please expect 5-10 working days turnaround time for articles that require no travel. News coverage or rush articles are available on request.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-250-6041.
Click on the thumbnail of my resume below to view. Or go to my resume page.